- Medication Error (ME) Reporting
- Guideline on Importation of Controlled Substances of Pharmaceutical Services Divisions through Main Customs Entry Points
- Malaysian Statistics on Medicines
- AWARENESS CAMPAIGN - BUYING MEDICINES ONLINE: BEWARE
- Operation Pangea VIII: UK Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Lot 36, Jalan Universiti, 46200 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
[ Location map ]
Phone: 603-7841 3200
Fax: 603-7968 2222
You are here
Are there any control measures on pharmaceutical products containing animal-derived materials?
Yes, there are.
Pharmaceutical product registration holders must label, and declare on the label, if the product contains animal-derived materials such as magnesium stearate, glycerine or gelatine. Should the company fail to do so, the MOH has the right to suspend or deregister said product.
Even though determining whether a medicine is free from animal-derived substances be it bovine, porcine or other involves a complex process, detection is possible with the current advanced technology available.
The National Fatwa Council Committee convened and decided that pharmaceuticals/medicines containing prohibited substances should only be consumed if there are no other medicine of halal source available, and it is used in an emergency. Please contact JAKIM for more information.