- 11th National Pharmacy R&D Conference 2021
- List of Recognized Pharmacy Degree by Pharmacy Board Malaysia
- List of Training Premises for Provisionally Registered Pharmacist (PRP)
- Guidelines for delivery service of medications for patient by Type A Licensed Holder
- Guide for Type A Licensed Holder (for retail activity) to sell/ supply medicines control under the Poisons Act 1952 through online
Lot 36, Jalan Universiti, 46200 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
[ Location map ]
Phone: 603-7841 3200
Fax: 603-7968 2222
You are here
Methadone Replacement Therapy
Methadone Replacement Therapy (MRT) is one of the "Harm Reduction" program established for opioid abusers. The aim of this program is mainly to prevent blood-borne viral infections (HIV, Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B) due to needles sharing. Methadone Replacement Therapy takes place when a patient is prescribed with Methadone by a Medical Officer, and the consumption is supervised by a Pharmacist.
Methadone is given to replace other opioids such as heroin and morphine in order to reduce the cravings and withdrawal symptoms experienced by patients. Methadone is a synthetic drug that offers very similar effect as heroin or morphine however no euphoria effect. Methadone is taken orally (by mouth), not like other commonly abused opioids. Hence no harmful injections required for the doses.